Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Conformation Critique

Todays conformation critique candidate is a 8 year old Perlino APHA Gelding. While it's not the ideal photo as he is facing slightly away from the camera, it does give a good enough profile.

He is a very nicely put together horse and from the looks of it has nice sturdy legs. He looks a little long through his back but has a wonderful hip on him. From the photo he looks like he might be built slightly down hill, but because of the angle I will not comment on this for sure. His neck ties in nicely with his shoulder but I would have liked him to have a slightly longer neck with a cleaner throat latch. He has a very nice head that isn't to long or to feminine. I like his shoulder angle and the length and angle of his pasterns. He has a very nice wither on him that is neither to prominent nor is it flat or mutton like. I would like to see a deeper heart girth area but overall he looks like he will hold up and excel in ranch work.

4 comments:

The Wenchster said...

This horse looks so familiar :) I just wanted to say that so far I enjoy reading your blog. You are doing very good work here and I will pass the word along to get you some traffic. I'm sure many of my readers won't mind reading a nice, educational blog.
I don't think you could go wrong with a last name of Doodle.

Bexs said...

Very cute horse. He kind of reminds me of my paint horse's build. I'm a sucker for bull dog type horses though.

Beckz said...

I agree that he is a very nicely balanced horse but would like to point out that he lacks bone below the knee and ties in below the knee also.

Anonymous said...

he is ewe necked, week in the loin and calf kneed also. While he is correct in some areas, I would not expect him to hold up to any seriously hard word. He would probably make an ok light trail horse.

I would learn some more about conformation before you try posting critques on the internet